Ohio River Bridges
CHA was part of the downtown phase of the $860 million Ohio River Bridges project. The project used an aggressive design schedule coupled with innovative design concepts for the Indiana portion of the project, resulting in several million dollars of cost savings. We provided lead design services for Section 3, the Indiana approach portion which ties into the new cable stay bridge over the Ohio River.
This project was the first design-build procurement for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. Our exceptional technical quality scores propelled us to the top best value ranking even though our bid price was $9 million higher than the second place team. We also provided several value engineering ideas that saved significant construction costs in the bid and final design.
- I-65 Lane Widening and Realignment with Widths Varying from 11 to 14 Lanes
- 17 New Bridges and One Bridge Rehabilitation
- Review and Installation of Roundabout Intersections (21 Roundabouts Total)
- Design of Local Street Upgrades, Collector-distributor Roadways, and Mainline Interstate Freeway
- Design of All Traffic Components, Including Signs, Signals, Lighting, and ITS
- Six Phases of Maintenance of Traffic for Mainline I-65
- Modification of the Interchange Justification Study
- Roadway Design and Earthwork Calculations for Three Urban Interchanges